For some reason lately, I have not had much of the stuff. And I am literally the type of person who usually bounces off the walls all day long. But now I am feeling sluggish more often than my normal energetic. I’m not too worried, because I think that sometimes feelings (including energy) come in waves, or phases in our lives, but I am so ready for this tsunami to be over. I just don’t feel like myself.
Possible reasons why I have low energy:
- Boredom. I would estimate about 85% of my time here in NZ can be classified as “free time.”
- Infrequent yoga. I went from practicing 6 days a week to only 2 (and that’s pushing it) times a week.
- Homesick. And it’s not getting any better. I just miss home and everything about it so much!
- Diet. Not only have I been eating dairy, but I’ve been eating meat, too! And a little too much sugar.
- Low-intensity runs. My knee pain shocked me into taking it easier. I miss those runner’s highs!
- Insecurity. My skin has officially plateaued and call me superficial but I admit, it had blundered my confidence.
I want to note that for me, low energy RARELY has to do with a lack of sleep. (Besides, most nights here I can, and occasionally do, sleep up to 9 hours!) My SUPER-crazy-busy schedule ever since high school has taught me how to function completely normally on very little sleep.
Over these years of sleep-deprivation, I have a compiled a couple (million) strategies to increase energy. I thought that they were a part of my natural lifestyle by now, but maybe since they are in less demand lately, they are taking a nap? Scoff, sleeping on the job. So I’ve revisited them to try and wake them up.
- Focus on the positive! I am a naturally optimistic person, but I need to count my blessings more. I have so freakin’ many, I might as well shout them from the rooftops like I usually do. I shall do this:
- Stay socially connected! Friends are the real antidote to any problem, so instead of wishing I was with the people I love, I should just talk with them online! Easy! Also, I go wild for helping people, so I need to get creative and find a way to do things for others…
- Eat a karma-free diet! I am really struggling with this lately, can you tell? Call me crazy, but I seriously think that eating meat is causing me to feel sad. I would also like to be mostly chemical- and sugar-free, but unfortunately that’s a very expensive and difficult thing for me to do right now. In the meantime, I’ll obsess over my karma-free, posion-free meals, and drink lots of water to drain the rest of the bad stuff out.
- Unplug! I am spending an unhealthy chunk of my free time on the computer, and I desperately need some off-screen time to get back down to Earth. I should probably work out a schedule, cause that’s how I do…
- Get moving! If I have the mindset that a run (or walk!) is exhilarating, then it will leave that effect, runner’s high or no. Also, inversions are a great way to get a burst of energy. Bridge, wheel, shoulder-stand, headstand, forearm-stand (practice), or handstand (more practice).
- Make plans! I do have lots of fun stuff to look forward to, but I think that I should make specific plans to get excited about for when the family comes and for the summer. I’ll be bouncing up and down with excitement!
- Get stuff done! I get such a rush from crossing things off my to-do list. Though I only have like 2 more assignments for the whole year, getting some progress on them would make me feel great, I expect!
- Laugh and smile, sing and dance! It’s shocking how much less of this I have been doing! Gasp! I can always count on the Shaytards for help with some extra smiling and laughter! Or Regina Spektor to help with the singing and dancing 🙂
- Feel pretty! So what, my skin looks less-than-perfect? Who cares? The rest of me is still a hottie! I have been meaning to do my nails for a while now, I should really take the time to straighten my hair more, and I should always pick a cute outfit! Cause that’s FUN.
- Meditate. It’s simply best way to let bad feelings drain away, leaving behind everything good.
My instinct is to say that today was a bit lackluster, but that’s a lie, self. It was really quite awesome. I don’t know why, but I failed to photograph breakfast! It was just the same old, banana-cinnamon oatmeal and coffee. Except not very “same old” because my new soymilk (which was on sale for nz$2.50-cheap as!) is vanilla flavored. And quite nice 🙂
We got our literacy papers back in Reading today (remember the pain and agony that caused?). I was SO anxious, but luckily…
PHEW! I’ll take it 😉
Lunch was also awesome.
Leftovers from last night’s Honey-Curry Tofu, one small kumara (sweet potato’s cuzzie), and salad greens.
I spent the afternoon getting stuff done (hey now!). My second reading assignment is nearly finished and I started the research for my final Maori culture paper! But again, I failed to take pictures of my snacks! What’s up with that? Apple w/ p’nut butt- and cheese ‘n’ crackers.
The real fabulousness of my day came from, yoga, of course. Yoga AND dinner, to be exact! I don’t like the way my teacher counts the breaths out loud. I’m at breath 8 by the time she gets to 4! It drives me a little nuts. As if I don’t already have a hard time staying still as it is, lol. Plus, I was sort of jammed in the corner, right next to the heater. But what really matters is that I felt grrrrreat afterwords! I even think all the strength-training I’ve been doing lately is making me feel, well, stronger!
I would like to share that the cheap mat I bought for my temporary stay here is sort of silly. It has a name!
lol. I try and make sure the label is face-down. Dinner was extra fantastic tonight, as usual! I had a a delicious baked samosa with peas and carrots inside and a sweet chutney on top! And a great salad, too. And really sweet, fruity tea. And a sugary cakey thing, I’m not really sure what it was but it tasted like maple syrup and heaven. There was more food, too, but I saved it for tomorrow! Huzzah!
Now, after getting smiles and giggles from today’s Shaytards daily vlog, I am going to unplug and read The Other Boleyn Girl. And I am looking forward to it!
Any tips for increasing energy?